Background Script

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Walls on Wednesday

Be sure to check Barb's other participants on What's On Your Wall Wednesday at Grits and Glamour.
I've had other blog entries that have been about things that my paternal grandmother "gifted" to me through the years. These things today I received after she passed away. Her "estate" was a hodge-podge of things she had saved from her heritage all packed away in cardboard boxes - nothing very big. This sign is a framed tin piece and I remember it hanging in my grandparents' apartment back in the 50's. It now hangs in my living room and it is in excellent shape.

These plates are from her as well and hang in a guest bedroom. The top plate is marked "Prussia - Royal Rudolstadt". My grandmother was also a "labeler" and it has a piece of tape on the back telling me it belonged to my great-great grandmother. The bottom plate with the poppies on it is marked "Limoges France" - no piece of tape this time.
I am more convinced all the time that we should mark things or label them in some way so we know where pieces come from and why they are important to us. It's our history!


4 comments:

SmilingSally said...

God is love is a great thing to hang on a wall, and how nice that you have memories attached to it.

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

I love senitmental things. Your's are wonderful! ~~Terrie~~

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Lovely items. It's wonderful that your grandmother marked the items. It does make it more meaningful when we know where the item came from or the story behind it. My grandma used to mark items, but usually with the name of the person she wanted the item to go to once she died (great idea too). I'm terrible at marking anything including photos. I need to try harder I guess.

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Pammiejo - what special wall decor is that! I totally agree about the markings. My grandmother actually did that - but the writings wore off over the years to the point that we could not even read them. I love that you remember these items in their homes. Thanks for sharing in this week's WOYWW. I hope to see you next week! Hugs, Barb